Thursday, April 23, 2009

What is Kiva?


If you have any interest in why I chose KivaFriend for the name of my blog, I thought I'd explain. A kiva is an "underground or partly underground chamber in a Pueblo village, used by the men especially for ceremonies or councils." But Kiva (www.kiva.org) is a micro-lending website where anyone can make a loan of $25 to an entrepreneur in an impoverished community. Several lenders can contribute to provide the amount needed for the total loan. Once the loan is repaid, you can use that money to re-lend to someone else in need, or get your money back. I learned about Kiva by reading Bill Clinton's book Giving: how each of us can change the world, which I would recommend to anyone. And I would also recommend Kiva - for just $25 you can make a difference! Ok, enough about the name of my blog!

4 comments:

  1. Although I've heard of microlending, I had not heard of Kiva. I'm intrigued now, and will look at the site tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kiva is fantastic--I'm glad you've posted this to let people know about the site!

    ReplyDelete