Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Bird ID Help Needed


Yes, I should be focusing on the next step in 27Things - learning about Delicious and Technorati. Before I do, though, I have a favor to ask of any birders that might be willing to give me their opinion. The other day while I was away from home a bigger-than-average bird landed in my smaller-than-average yard (a deck, really). My friend who was home at the time managed to take a picture - but from inside the house and with no zoom (he said the bird was about 12 inches tall). I'm still a novice birder, so I'm not sure what it is - my guess is it's an immature something - some kind of heron? I'd really like to hear what other people think it is - and sorry for the quality of the picture. If I don't hear from anyone on the blog, I might post the picture to the Yahoo group for Sacramento Birders. Thanks for your help!

8 comments:

  1. The neck and beak aren't right for a heron...my guess would be a Flicker: 12", spotted underparts, brown barred back. To be sure, you could post it to the local Sacto. birders. Remember there is a magpie count this week-end: www.ca.audubon.org.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the help on identifying the bird - I've never seen anything like it in my yard! I thought it might possibly be a juvenile black-crowned night heron, but I'm probably wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you're right---I got out my Peterson and it had a picture of an immature black-crowned night heron which looks close (except they are usually 23"-28"). It's too bad you couldn't get a look at the eyes---these herons have red eyes. I'm afraid my days of dealing with babies are over.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that's one big neck on that bird!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe a green heron? They can look streaky and show several colors, including brown.

    Do ask the Sacramento Birders' Yahoo group. Somebody there will know for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks - I did ask my friend about the color of the eyes, but he didn't notice and he's not really a birder. The smaller size, like you said, doesn't fit in with a juvenile black-crowned night heron. I want to ask the Sacramento Birders Yahoo group, but haven't figured out how to post the photo yet. I'm still technologically challenged.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Actually, I'm kind of suspicious about the size - he swears it was 12 inches, but his estimates have been known to be off. Wish I had been there to see it..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Check out pics of the Least Bittern: it has spots and is about 13".

    ReplyDelete